I have had several conversations with people about how I come up with my content and copy. For me, it comes naturally, so I have had to really think about how and why I post the things I do for my clients. What it boils down to is creating content and copy that elicits emotion in the viewer and inspires them to act on and engage with the post.
There are a couple surefire ways you can do this.
- Encourage conversation. Creating polls or posts that ask for your follower’s opinion starts a conversation and gives you insight into what they want to see on your page.
- For example, you may ask them to leave a comment or emoji in the comments voting on their favorite product of yours.
- Pull on the heartstrings or funnybone. Having eye-catching images is no secret for good content on social media, but without the right caption, it won’t do as well as you may have hoped. Including a caption that evokes some kind of emotion is a fabulous way to encourage engagement and start a conversation.
- For example, if you have a picture of a child making a mess on the carpet (and you are a carpet cleaning business) you could write a caption like “Ain’t no hood like motherhood”.
- Teach them something. Especially when it comes to LinkedIn or if your business is learning related, educational content is great. Industry-specific content that helps out your followers can lead to shares and ultimately sales. Remember to balance this with some lighthearted content though.
- Create a FOMO. The fear of missing out (FOMO) was pretty much created by social media, so use it to your advantage. Create content that makes your audience want to follow you and not miss a thing. This can be done through exclusive offers, limited items, and urgency in your copy.
No matter what stay true to your brand. Find ways to be unique and inspire engagement. Many people are afraid to “post the wrong things” but I say GO FOR IT! You can always delete it and if it didn’t work try something else!